Monday, January 24, 2011

Japan | Raleigh Travel Photographer

Wow, it's hard to believe it's a new year and I'm just now doing a blog post! For those who have asked, despite not posting since December, everything is fine : ) I've been busy working on a brand new blog (coming very soon!) and making some much needed updates to my website (still in progress). I have many blog posts to catch up on and I hope to make many of them on my new blog very soon!

I actually thought I had posted these a couple of months ago, but with the busyness of holiday sessions and editing, it just didn't happen. These are a few images from my trip to Japan (in July!). I was so excited to spend some time with my sister, Joanna, and her boyfriend Victor. They both live in Japan, and despite it being a fantastic country, I am really looking forward to them both moving back to the US this year.

I only got to see them for a couple of days, but we made the most of it with some good food and some late night karaoke. We visited the Studio Ghibli Museum, which was so cool. I would never have expected a museum to have real Miyazaki sketches plastering the walls with no glass around them. It was as if there was no concern that they might get damaged or that someone might steal one. For those who are unfamiliar with Miyazaki's films, please check them out. This is a random thought, but I have to say that I think Miyazaki (and his studio) might give more attention to wind than any other animation studio. It's really beautiful to watch in his films.

We traveled to Lake Ashi, where we rode on a pirate ship and saw Mt. Fuji. Nearby, there was a beautiful cedar forest that we walked through. That night, we stayed in a traditional ryokan that Victor had booked. It was so cool to be able to sleep in a traditional Japanese hotel instead of a more touristy one. It had an onsen and also included a Japanese breakfast.

Oh--here's a tidbit of advice for anyone traveling to Tokyo. Go to one of the large department stores before they open and go in as soon as the doors are unlocked. We walked in and all of the employees were lined up down the aisle of the department store. Every single one of them bowed as we walked by. It was almost overwhelming and surreal, but such a neat experience. If you go later in the day, don't expect to see this. Even if you can't go in the morning, it's worth going to the department stores just to check out the food halls. They're amazing (and expensive)!

On to some photos!

Many parts of the museum reminded me of Gaudi's Casa Batllo in Barcelona.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is right outside the little cafe at the Studio Ghibli Museum. I just loved the little detail of the tiny pinecones next to the vase of unripened blackberries on the red chair. So whimsical : )

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

This is a Mont Blanc, which is carried in most Japanese department stores in their food halls. It was Jacob's favorite dessert in Tokyo when we were there in 2005. It would never be my first choice, but I had to get one in his honor : )

Photobucket

Joanna and Victor in the cable car on our way to the pirate ship...

Photobucket

Mt. Fuji!

Photobucket

The cedar forest--so gorgeous.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

My youngest sister : )

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


My Etsy Page